Monday, October 20, 2008

My Favorite Tool: Part III

In my last post I told you how I used a laminate router with an 1/8 inch flute bit to make nearly factory cuts in plastic laminate (Formica, Wilsonart, etc.) This same router/bit combo has proven invaluable in cutting other materials. I use it to score the veneer on hollow-core doors before cutting. It' the best way I've found for cutting paneling, plexi-glass or any other non-metal material where clean, accurate cuts are required. The main advantage to using this method is that you can make your cuts with your material face-up instead of upside down and backwards as you must with a circular or jig saw.

So that, in a nutshell, is why my laminate router is my favorite tool. Give it try and see if it doesn't bring some extra joy to your woodworking projects.

P. S. When clamping your straight-edge don't rely on spring clamps. They WILL slip. Use C-clamps instead.

No comments: