Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Toys, Tools and Instruments

There is nothing more frustrating than trying to do quality work without the proper tools. As a boy I became convinced that I would never amount to much as a carpenter. I could never saw a straight line. Nails bent when I hammered them and my results were usually second or even third rate.

It was not until later that I realized my problem: I was using my father's tools! Dad had many fine traits but recognizing the importance of having good quality tools was not one of them. If he could pick up a circular saw for 40 bucks he was not about to spend a nickel more to get one that would actually cut straight and forget about a carbide blade if the steel blade was cheaper.

With this as my early experience it was a revelation when I finally got my hands on a high dollar saw with a carbide blade and was able to follow my chalk mark on a piece of plywood. The same held true no matter what type of tool I was using. As the years passed I came to the conclusion that there are toys, tools and instruments. The toys are for those who don't really care; tools are a must for anyone who needs to get the job done right and instruments are for those who delight in the process of creating near perfection.

When I have had the opportunity to work with instruments the work was pure joy. I have always paid the extra dollar for the best tools I could afford. As for toys, you can play with them if you want. I'm going to take a nap.

No comments: